23 December 2013

December

December : Will the heart remember?

I look through the old album
and I remember the place
where I was a child, the elder
tree at the end of the soft lawn
where I lay cool and sheltered
from the summer blue-sky sun,
and watched the kaleidoscope
of changing patterns as the
shimmering leaves swayed 
gently in the far away calm
of those magical afternoons.

But what if the old brown photo
no longer stirs the memory?
What if I see only a pale web
of crumpled leaves cold against
a sky overcast by smoke black
clouds, heralding the coming 
of drenching rain which blots
out the innocent happiness
of that long carefree season?
Memory will be found wanting,
maybe the heart will remember.

From the cliff top I can gaze
far across the sweep of the bay
to where we had our happy
times in the modest chalet set
amongst the copper beaches
where squirrel and nuthatch
visited our veranda, and we
were young again in our love
for the place and the wonder 
of our shared passion and joy.
This is my raft of sweet recall.

But what if from that cliff top
I perceived only a misty veil,
curtain dark in the twilight?
What if all that happiness
were to fade into amorphous
shadows on an old stone wall?
How would my life be then, if
I should no longer remember
him, my lover and my friend?
Can the heart’s recollections
prevail against an empty brain?

I can only forget that which is
already done and departed.
Smoke beyond the horizon,
which I have not yet seen, is 
a chimaera of the imagination,
white on white, black writ on
black, blank in the dawning of
tomorrow’s forgotten dream.
Thus, while memory remains,
in hope and faith I will pray
that a heart nurtured by love
may cherish an abiding peace.


Envoi

The Days of Birth and the Days of Death
are the only days of a life which rarely pass unnoticed. 
They remain in the consciousness as milestones 
both to sorrow and to joy.
They are in each life unique Days of New Year.
This day and every day of my New Year
God grant I will remember you.

Amen   So may it be.
                                             Naomi

No comments: